Me gushing....
I still remember the day I read the news report announcing that Vishal would make an adaptation of Othello. I was still quite enthralled with Maqbool and had to come to terms with the fact that Shakespeare could be so earthy, wicked and dark.
I was never a student of Shakespeare and whenever I tried reading it on my own, I usually gave it up. It never seemed theatrical enough or even remotely moving. The basic plot sufficed to keep me from reading the nuances.
But then came Maqbool. The movie was unlike any experience I had in a long time. I was so moved after seeing it that I recommended to all and sundry. I still do. Then came the making of Othello. Never before had I waited for a movie that long and hoped to god it would not disappoint.
And now, after seeing the movie, here I am wondering whether anything I say will add to the wonderful feeling I have post seeing the film. But more on that later. Here is the latest! He is planning a Julius Ceasar now! Deja vu?
*********************************************************************************
Omkara - I totally loved the film. No two ways about it. Its mind blowing, emphatic and a superb adaptation. For one, I am glad that, I did not read the play before seeing the movie. It allowed me to absorb every nuance of the film rather than compare and contrast.
The story has been listed in many reviews across various blogs, so I think will give that a skip here. These reviews are so extensive, exhaustive and looking at every angle - nothing more to add there. Do read them.
- I know this. I loved the cinematography (Tassaduq Hussain) - much more flinty than Maqbool; stark and really little relief.
- The movie has a deceptive pace and parts had me cringing inside, thinking the twist is going to be quite jarring.
- Yep Saif, Konkana and Deepak (Dobriyal) are stellar. Ajay Devgun is the same he is usually (not really grown because of Omi) and Kareena is ok.
- Bipasha's a waste. Item numbers apart, it feels like she never really got under her the skin of her character or may be Billo is supposed to be like that?
- I can totally related to Bard lovers who think Vishal has not done a good job. When a book/story is adpated as another's vision its never what you imagine it would me.
- But the movie is still something very unusual and nice and I love his creativity, despite the fact that he has changed some parts of the story.
- Is Cassio supposed to be in the periphery despite being such an integral part of the misunderstanding? Unfortunately the potential that Vivek Oberoi showed in Company was not really visible here.
- The songs, most of them, blend in well. Some are very interestingly juxtaposed like Omkara and even Jag Ja.
What are you waiting for? Go watch it.

3 Comments:
First MumbaiGirl and now you. Gotta watch it on my return.
Yep you must and see Maqbool too if you have not.
Yes, that one too. In fact, I remember talking about Maqbool when I met Aditi.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home