My Funny Clementine

....that we live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities...Oscar Wilde

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Not fair

I am back to posting entire stories because I cant seem to find links. This story really annoys me. Its unfair for the guy, I think. I mean why do men have to be punished for this? I mean its not like women dont want to have sex but they prefer to garb it as 'since we are going to get married, it ok!'. The poor sod gets stuck and has to either marry the woman or go to jail, as in this case. Calling it rape is insulting the whole relationship.

Chartered accountant fined Rs 50,000 for cheating lover
TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Mumbai: A sessions court on Tuesday convicted a chartered accountant (CA) on charges of cheating after he promised to marry his colleague and had a physical relationship with her, but later went back on his word.
The CA, Duttatre Dayanand (26), had been booked by the police for rape, but judge K U Chandiwal acquitted him of that charge. Dayanand was found guilty of cheating under Section 417 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC). He has been fined Rs 50,000 and will be jailed for two years if he refuses to pay that amount.
Dayanand worked for a chartered accountancy firm in Ghatkopar and lived alone at Indira Nagar. According to the prosecution, Dayanand and the victim fell in love in August 2003 and the girl started visiting his home after he promised to marry her soon.
However, when the girl asked Dayanand to marry her, he told his accountancy firm that he was unwell and went to his village, Ambegaon near Pune, in Sep 2003. The girl followed him there and even spent a night outside his house before the gram panchayat met to decide on the matter.
Dayanand promised the panchayat that he would marry the girl and the duo returned to Mumbai where he reneged on his promise again. Fed up with the situation, the girl consumed poison and had to be rushed to a hospital where she recovered after a few days.
After being discharged from the hospital, she lodged a complaint with the Ghatkopar police on December 3, 2003. Dayanand was booked for rape and arrested, but later released on bail.

4 Comments:

Blogger the mad momma said...

well i can understand falling in love... but this woman is psycho... no wonder men behave the way they do... a broken promise is a broken promise... where will hysteria get u? i afree. not fair.. yet real rapists everywhere get away scot free

3:16 AM  
Blogger Twisted DNA said...

I don't know what "Section 417" of IPC is. I am just aghast that courts start punishing peopel for broken promises! Cops booking the case for rape where the sex was consensual! What is going on with our legal system!

10:21 AM  
Blogger Janaki said...

tmm - hopefully she will realise its better not hankering to marry a man who does not want to it the first place - court and fine apart.
Twisted DNA: Our legal system.. thats matter for a whole new post am sure.

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I denounce the rape charge but (Ta-Da!) I am on the girl's side in this case. I only wonder how the promise was proven.

4:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home