My first time
I bought an avocado yesterday (or I think it was day before yesterday). Yes it was my first time.
I slowly meandered to the aisle where fruits were displayed, discreetly checked prices (not like I had a clue as to what avocados were supposed to cost, especially in this posh suburb that I worked in) and decided yes it was finally time to buy one. I did not want any one to know a fruit, slightly exotic now but exotic nevertheless, was intimidating me.
I looked over at shelf dislpaying mostly green avocados with two black or at least ninety percent black avocados. That's when I realised that perhaps I needed to do a little research before buying one - like what colour should it be? and more importantly what I could I use it for?
But decided to throw caution to the wind and buy it anyways. "Will research a recipe later," my mind consoled me. Of course I was jumping out into the wind along with my caution - I had actually decided - "What the hell! will just peel it and eat it all by myself."
Got it back home in a separate plastic bag (due to an untoward incident with kiwi, again in my first of its kind experiments). All the way home kept thinking about what I could do with it - eat it, weave it into a salad or make guacamole (that seems to be the most common recipe I was getting after googling 'avocado').
A quick, impromtpu wine and takeout chinese dinner plan clinched it for me. I came home, all ready to make a dip with the fruit, for the chips I was going to serve with the wine. After making the quickest bread pudding I could (dessert is a must you see), I set about making the dip.
My first task was to cut the fruit with any mishap. After managing that, I sliced two green chillies (thinly) and one 'to-mah-toe' (not so chunkily) and set about chopping the avocado, to mash it further.
As the fruit slowly became chunks and strips, I wrestled with a fork, a bowl, my fingers and finally the wooden cutting board to mash the fruit to blend well into a dip. I absolutely abhor blenders so there I was squeezing, mashing, cutting, stirring, cursing (there was a time limit) and finally, in the nick of time, I got the dip ready.
It was just right - a tad over seasoned for my tastes - but hey I know I will improve and buy many many more avocados without any hesitation whatsoever. Of course the proof lies in the dip as it was over with minutes (ok about 120 minutes) after it was served, with the beautiful blue serving bowl wiped clean by my very own friend who never has a dip with his chips.
Yippee!

1 Comments:
If you make the avocado dip in advance and chill it, it'll be gone in 20 minutes or less. And I can understand the wipe clean bit. My own friend did it, the one who thinks I use him as a guinea pig.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home