My Funny Clementine

....that we live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities...Oscar Wilde

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

A jar of Swiss chocolate.

A mellow afternoon
A yearn of cheese, bread and crunchy tomato
I snuck a glance at the little clock
playing peekaboo on my monitor
Yes! it was time
Time to feed my various hungers..


With a long afternoon just finishing after my team mate and I expounded on the trivilialities of life, marriage, friendship and yaddah, I knew it was time for the third meal of the day - an evening snack.

There are never enough options to snack on - dosas, chaats, elaborately prepaerd savoury crisps, simple bread and butter and tea and even exotic shakes likes rose milk shakes. "What to eat?" is a question that can always elicit passionate responses. But today, with boredom and sheer ennui nipping our heels, we stepped out for eats we don't usually eat - chicken and ham sandwiches.

A foodcourt flanked with numerous eatering and various cuisines makes the decision process that much more dificult. But we were determined. Orders were given - a roast chicken and a ham and cheese.

Waiting on wooden green tables splattered with sun (and some leftover dal) could have been interesting and even exciting (after all there could have been interesting eye candy sitting around us but we never got a chance to see). I spotted a hungry cat and while I went off to get something to fill her little belly and that little ache in my heart, my friend went off to locate another place to sit.

The cat fed ( or as it was eating) and we settled, waiting for our sandwiches. Me feeling satiated (already?) that I had fed some other living creature and was gazing around the deli.Of course to call it a deli was stretching the definition of delicatessen to its maximum. But freshly made sandwiches with ingredients picked out does a deli make.

On an innoucous glass shelf on one of the three walls sat two aluminium jars of swiss chocolate. I did a double take. Swiss chocolate??!! here??!! My first instinct - what on their menu could possibly include something so delicious? Lovely jars with beautiful white lettering on a lovely green label! Could anything look more inviting?

But right then came our sandwiches and we got busy in ooohing and aaahing over them and towards the end, trying to finish them... and now I will never know if those gorgeous jars of chocolate were actually metamorphosed into something incredibly divine or they were there to just accumulate some loose but then again there is always another long afternoon..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home