My Funny Clementine

....that we live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities...Oscar Wilde

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Same story whichever decade we are in!

I could not find the link so I am pasting the entire story here from today's TOI.

Dalit woman sarpanch paraded naked

Suchandana Gupta | TNN


Bhopal: A Dalit woman sarpanch of Mahoikala village in MP’s Chattarpur district was beaten up, stripped and then paraded naked by upper caste men as she did not pay them Rs 50,000 from the village development fund.
The woman’s ordeal did not end here. Even after her repeated requests, the police didn’t file an FIR. It was only when she took the help
of a Samajwadi Party legislator that the police lodged the complaint on the fourth day of the incident. National Commission for Women chairperson Girija Vyas on Thursday asked the state to conduct a probe and submit a report in a week.
According to sarpanch Indira Kushwah (45), local goons — Lakhan Shukla and Santosh Shukla — had been harassing her for the last six months for money. She said, “Lakhan used to threaten me. He
wanted the money which I had received under the village development fund. He said the money should be given to him because I, being a Dalit, would not know how to spend it.’’
“On June 17 evening when I turned down their demand, the two, armed with rifles, came to my hutment, dragged me and my children out and started beating me. He and his men then stripped me and paraded me naked in the village,’’ she
alleged. “No one came to my rescue. Even my children were not spared. They, too, were beaten up,’’ she said.
“When I went to the local police station, I was told to go back to the village. No one will beat me again,’’ she lamented. On Wednesday, SP legislator Vijay Bahadur Singh Bundela took her to district collector Ajathshatru, who gave instruction to the police to take action but said he could not comment till an inquiry was conducted.

VICTIM’S VOICE

Lakhan Shukla said the money (from the village development fund)
should be given to him because I, being a Dalit, would not know how to spend it Indira Kushwah | DALIT SARPANCH

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This makes me very angry. The local police should all be prosecuted (not just transferred) for dereliction of duty and abettment of crime. As for the goons - no punishment would be enough.

1:55 AM  
Blogger Janaki said...

I dont know what ALL makes me angry about this story... that it still happens.. to women, to dalits to the oppressed? Or that police and all think its their right..? I mean next year we complete sixty years of being an independent nation.. and is this what take as memories?

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home