My Funny Clementine

....that we live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities...Oscar Wilde

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Do I love Delhi more than Bombay

.. is a question I get asked frequently. I still do not have an answer. But ever since I set up base in Delhi all I do is compare and wish things were like Bombay but not so much that I head back. There are things here that I would give an arm and a leg to take back with me. So I thought I would make a list. May be a city with the best of both worlds..errm cities..

  • Delhi needs the sea - though there would be more humidity, it would even get cool sea breezes in the evenings, allowing the nights to cool off unlike now.. and of course Bombay could do with the Delhi's winter.
  • Delhi has some of the best roads - we could use them in Bombay and aah yes the gardens too!
  • Bombay's public transport system - rickshaws, taxis and BEST buses, including the slowly getting defunct double decker buses - would help Delhi quite a bit. Imagine a double decker bus going round the India Gate circle! How majestic and they could even have Delhi darshan tours in them. And hailing a cab and not totally killer fares which are so random like everything else regulated in this city...
  • Bombay needs rents of Delhi.
  • Delhi needs the concept of a compound to a building and windows on the sides. All windows needs not be in the front or the rear of the house.
  • Bombay needs the bakery-round-the-corner while Delhi needs more paper vendors who sell news papers through the day.
  • I dont know if the leching men are fewer in Bombay or not but yes the women of Delhi could use the attitude that women in Bombay have. 'Let's all get together and beat them up' was the motto followed. Nobody waited for men to intervene.
  • Somehow people in Bombay always had something to do, somewhere to be and something to say therefore the I-dont-care attitude, which we could definitely use here. Delhi could use some professionalism.
  • Post bomb blasts you don't sit inside home and show that you are scared! You head out there and do your thing without displaying your fear. Delhi needs that attitude. Am tired of my colleagues refusing to come to movies and other forms of public gatehrings because "there will be a bomb blast definitely!' Phew stop panicking already!!
  • Bombay could use more tree lines roads and bougainvillea dotted flyovers. With no slums below the flyovers. All flyovers in Delhi have U-turns. They seem obsessive about it. Bombay only has slums below its flyovers.
  • Delhi has good signage. Its difficult to get lost (though once I managed to reach Kamala Market while going from GK1 Mocha to Park Royal - dont ask me how but my excuse is I was not driving) In Bombay not such great signage. I once saw a sign on Pedder Road pointing towards the Airport. A little far off eh?
  • I want salons of Bombay to come here. Which do not ave any men in them. Err... its a little weird. And in Bombay hair salons are not the same as beauty parlours. Here the hair salons do every thing from manicures to massages and Bombay mehendi (sic).

Anything else that comes to mind?

10 Comments:

Blogger K said...

Lots more things could go from city to city, but both cities have their own charms - Delhi could be a lot more professional for sure and Bombay could use a looooot more space!

12:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We could do with some of the food thingies from Delhi though.

1:12 AM  
Blogger Janaki said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:24 AM  
Blogger Janaki said...

You know .. after eating out.. here and in Bombay I'd say Bombay has a better variety of street food.. i mean seriously chaat is overdone and overrated. But yeah nobody does red meat like the delhi-ites!

1:25 AM  
Blogger Peter Matthes said...

In India you may go to Delhi for red meats, but in NYC we go to the deli.

I would like to visit India one day. The food is great and it sounds like such an amazing country.

What is up with your stock market recently?

10:32 PM  
Blogger Janaki said...

Hey peter.. the stock market seems to have developed a life of its own.. or perhaps is living out some one else's :) Do come to India .. it would be better than you expect.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Mukta Raut said...

You find it difficult to get lost in Dehi! WOW! Let me take a moment and bow and applaud. Very very good!

Of course, my sense of direction being abysmal...

11:01 PM  
Blogger 4wD said...

Bombay has Pune next to it :)

Bombay wins.

12:49 AM  
Blogger Janaki said...

No wya Pune is incredibly sad!! but the experssway rocks.

12:55 AM  
Blogger K said...

Lets get together and beat the men up... hahahaha... Yup, Delhi could sure use a bit of that. But Delhi could also use more women going out by themselves - you see that all over Bombay, hardly ever in Delhi.

1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home