The days of videos long gone
Saturday nights have always been one eventful evening after another, ever since I came to Delhi, much to the dismay of my Mumbai friends, who had slyly nick named me 'party pooper'. This saturday night we were consigned to being indoors, not so much because of the cold, but because my usual partner in crime was down with the seasonal fever, cough and cold.
We mustered energy to step to see one of the new movies but tickets weren't available so after a jaunt into Music World and six VCDs later a night full of movies was going to be it. After rediscovering watching movies in the theatre somewhere in college, I have never really watched movies back to back on a player at home.
And usually I buy movies that I want to keep a copy for posterity.But this evening was different. Nothing except the movies took centerstage - not eats, seats, company or prices (usual considerations while deciding which theatre to pick for a movie).
The line up was stellar (or almost) and a plan worth taking up for these incredibly wintery nights. It started with - Sardar- there is so much to partition besides riots and upheaval, watch it if you have not and you may value your independence more; Maqbool- an incredible film with Shakespeare in myriad colours; Katha- Naseer again in yet another superb performance with all nuances pat down. I say yet because he is brilliant in Maqbool as well and (please forgive me for this but) the last was Home Delivery- funny in places but not really worthy of this list but I slept through it so for me it was three great films and a memorable saturday night. And while searching for these films I realised the three movies are with a gap of ten years between them - Katha in 1983, Sardar in 1993 and Maqbool in 2003. Loved that coincidence...
Yes it is very cold.

4 Comments:
You know what? I spent 9 1/2 hours in the weekend watching the entire series of 'Scrubs'!
Exciting lives we lead! lol
You make me want to wrap myself in a blanket on the sofa and watch movies too. Expect the heat would be unbearable if I tried it.
Rabin: Eh? Scrubs is wot?
Anumta: You are so lucky that it is warm there.. butwell pleasure of Delhi is the winter.. na?
Katha was farooque sheikh's movie... naseer was good too. but farooque epitomised tht character.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home