What's the fuss about?
For all of hullabaloo about Microsoft and its unfair trade practices, there is still a certain ease of usability which it provides unlike Linux. We shifted over to Linux (we being only the content members of the organisation) a couple of months ago and am still to understand what the fuss is all about.
After all "the design(team) needs the Windows OS" and "why does support need to move to Linux?" We (content team) therefore got elected. "Cheaper to use when it comes to scaling up.."(its free after all) and such murmurs were heard and we all actually got excited shifting OS.
Little did I know what I was agreeing for. We, at work, were not trained adequately and had to rely on each other to discover things that you could not find otherwise. One geek (or whatever the politically correct term is today) amongst us helped us tremendously and still does. Its his name we holler instead of support when the machine gives ur trouble.
Among other issues, every couple of days my machine starts to make a funny noise, prompting which if I am not swift enough (and had no clue initially) it restarts!! Without any warning.. you see I am spoiled by the redundant error messages that great people all over the world are ecstatic writing..anyway got used to machine restarting on its own.
Then came a number of applications limit.. beyond three and no way .. the machine protests again. All this when my team mates are working fine on linux. I feel like a particularly bad child who is having a tantrum. :)
Nothing looks or feels the same. Everything needs an additional keystroke and for some strange reason, my comp adamantly refuses to let me play audio CDs or even share music from peer machines on the network. Hmmph.
More than once I go to Google oracle(as I read it being called somewhere recently) and try my luck or if chat is working fine, then ask some one there to help out. But alas, my Linux is giving me grey hair even as I speak errr type.
One day am sure the goodness of Linux will dawn on me, like life's solutions to all problems but till then I hate u.. Linux...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home