My Funny Clementine

....that we live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities...Oscar Wilde

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

My first fog!

Ever since I have come to Delhi, all anyone has spoken about it how the winter will be my deciding time and how people from Mumbai cannot take it and how .. well am sure you get the picture.

I, of course, provided enough fodder for their jokes. A little chill of November and I was already feeling cold. But it got colder and colder and well now have resigned myself to the fact that people from Mumbai feel colder more than the rest of the country and I never be completely warm.

Then there was the FOG. I was told expect the worst. "It is so bad.. It begins in December.. driving is the pits.. etc etc but WHERE was this fog? It was proving as elusive as a raise! Every day while driving over the DND expressway.. I would exclaim "Is that fog?" "Kinda" or "No, its smog" were two basic answers given. I kept wondering if I would get to see it after all..

I was wondering if it would be like in my first flight.I so excited and the plane was taking so long in taking off that I actually asked my co passenger and my sister if were we already in the air adn I had missed the take off in my excitement? "You will know, u know," she said with an exaggerated roll of her eyes. Of course the flight never did take off and to this date a take off excites me nothing else.

So was fog going to be that way? It would come and go and by pass me so that in all the years to come when people would talk about The Delhi Fog I would be left saying.. "aah I am not sure I saw it..."

Today morning on the Expressway and my friend and owner of the car we travel in, told me, "Oh yesterday there was so much fog. You missed it." (I was late yesterday and had to negotiate my way into NOIDA on my own) Even basic things like fog I cant encounter.

I was grumbling about this to him and turned to look ahead at the toll plaze and lo behold I could not see a thing!! There was my first fog of Delhi where I went from seeing the clear orange orb of the sun to nothing in a minute! Yay.

Of course we promptly slowed, distress lights on and slowly cruised towards the plaza. He was worried some one would hit us or we would hit some one..but I was far too excited to pay attention. No visibility took on a new meaning and I wanted to stick my head out of the window and yodel..but it was far too cold.

Here to more foggy mornings!

3 Comments:

Blogger R. said...

I bet you won't look forward to it when you are driving! :-)

I've never seen thick fog myself nor have I seen snow. Lots to do see :)

10:09 PM  
Blogger gawker said...

why do you want to see fog? fog is nothing but pollution perched on top of moisture

5:32 AM  
Blogger Janaki said...

I wanted to experience the sensation of being totally blanketed so much that you could not see the end of car..! dissecting fog kinda kills it na? its like saying those gorgoeous red and orange and pink sunsets are only because of the pollution! Sigh,

5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home