My Funny Clementine

....that we live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities...Oscar Wilde

Friday, March 24, 2006

Ridikulus!!!

Why does low cost mean low quality? Why I try and figure that one out.. I will enumerate all reasons why you should think and think again before deciding on flying Air Deccan - its low cost factor apart.

The airline encourages booking tickets online and uptil a month ago (when I attempted to book a ticket) their servers pereptually seemed down. Finally got the ticket done by going there in person! Then came the fateful day. The day I was to travel. I reached the airport a little over an hour before the flight. Two check in counters open, trying to check in people for three flights, all currently boaring.

A mad scramble ensues and somehow everyone thinks its acceptable to jump lines and pretend their need was greater than anyone else's who was foolish enough to stand in line. Even security check crew prefers chatting amongst themselves instead of clearing serpentine queues.

Check in happens after innumerable fights - more of not letting people get ahead of me in the line (why do people shut up when somebody jumps the line?? Is your time that abundant that you can spend it standing in lines?) and requesting the crew to hurry up.. it was 8.45 pm and the flight was to take off at 9.20 pm. But what I was not aware of is that apparently Air Deccan flights never take off on time.

While checking in I was also made to shell out an additional Rs 500. At that moment I sent a prayer hoping my luggage would follow me from Mumbai to Delhi. Fateful thought that was! Everything else seemed ok and just I was going to heave a sigh of relief, boarding began and an entirely new mayhem ensued.

Air Deccan seems to think that not alloting seats is a good way to .. I dont know what.. ensure that people remain sprightly. Most people refused to budge from the doors to the transit buses only because they wanted the "first" seat?!! For the first time I have seen people run, across the tarmac, with suitcases in hand, towards the air craft. Reminded me of people trying to board an unreserved compartment in a train..

Its a sight - how man, woman, young old, clutching books, food, and other assorted sundry items run towards the aircraft... At one point I was ready to sit with the crew or in the loo, if required, but not run like this for just a seat. Some how low cost, I think, allowed the passengeers to be generally badly behaved. Noisy men who though it would be great fun to try out different seats in the aircraft, to haggling over the price of a cup of tea (steep at Rs 20 for a pathetic excuse for tea) to loitering in gangways to just being contrary.

Its not just the passengers who thought anything goes, but even the crew who does not really care. Unfriendly, ineffecient at most points and blase about the whole procedure. My clincher was, of course, delayed baggage. At 1 am in the night, the person on the help desk seems so calm and without checking was sure my bag got left behind in Mumbai, could I please describe it? I was like, at least find out whether it made it here or not?

"So Madam when was it manufactured?" Aghast, I say I did not have a clue and how the hell did it matter?

"Is it a soft top or a hard top?" "It is a haversack" I tell him tremulously. "But does it have hard or a soft top?" At this point I want to strangle him.

"So madam, is the bag locked?" Yes! "And the key?" is with me. "Ok so it is not with the bag." I almost ask him .. you are kidding me right?

"Can we have you name, address and telephone number?" I was already irritated since for baggage that I was made to pay extra and that had not come with me, and I was being asked to collect it from the airport. "Because it is the airline policy not to deliver luggage" (a question he obviously answers a lot I could tell). Just to make myself feel better I only scribbled my number - why would he need my address then?

Of course the airline did not call me up and after following up now I have to go pick up my bag and I hope for the airline's sake it is in the condition I gave it to them or god help them. I know this is a rant.. but am really upset. Just because you claim to be a low cost airline, is being polite also out of ur purview? You can be efficient and able and still be a low cost carrier. I refuse to believe that not have an efficient crew ensures that your low cost carrier status.

In me, yesterday, you lost a customer and you may not care but I know I will never recommend your airline to anyone.

8 Comments:

Blogger Mukta Raut said...

Eep! I was planning on flying Air Deccan to Delhi in June. Hee hee! Will take extra leave and travel by train!

How are you though?

1:20 AM  
Blogger Mohit said...

Thanks for the tip. I was planning on flying AD with my family. Guess I'll have to go with Kingfisher now.

4:14 AM  
Blogger Anurag said...

Hi:

I work with Air Deccan where I handle Revenue Management (nothing to do with operations really). Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Do let me know if I can help in any way, now or in future.

Best wishes,

Anurag
(At airdeccan.net)

11:34 PM  
Blogger Janaki said...

Hey mukta.. try spice jet..its not as bad as yet.. am good. Looking forward to having u here in June... hope that is still on.

Hey Mohit - :)

Anurag - I do hope u can help me. Unfortunately I am not the only one with bad experiences with Deccan. Hope it is a trend that reverses itself soon.

2:09 AM  
Blogger R. said...

with the way i travel, i don't trust Air Deccan coz they hardly ever take off on time...thts their biggest problem among other things

BUT having said that, I think they have contributed a lot to air travel in india by giving the big guys some stiff price competition. Now a LOT more indians travel (and complain about AD) than before.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Lubna said...

Gawd - the most hairraising domestic air travel story, ever blogged. Should you be congratulated, well maybe. Other scary stories are put up on Rabin's blog and Govind Ethiraj's blog. Mine are not that scary (nope, havent travelled DA till date, hope I never have to). Maybe one day they will have straps hanging from the roof of the aircraft and everyone will travel a-la-the churchgage bound fast train during peak hours.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Janaki said...

Hey Lubu - my mum keeps warning me (and anyone who would lissen) that lowcost airlines may soon come up with a scheme which gives out standing space only! :)

8:03 PM  
Blogger anumita said...

Hey you came to bbay and went back? Weren't we supposed to meet?

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home