Another Bad Habit
(Sitting at a table in a restaurant, I could not but overhear a conversation at the next table. I mean, sitting alone with a drink, waiting for your dinner companion there is much else to do other than learn by rote the menu and/or blatantly overhear conversations).
Girl: Hi.. so we finally manage to meet for dinner?
Boy (or should I say Man?): Yes! What is it? A couple of years at least...
G: Yes at least two..
B: So how is life treating you?
G: Good...the same..
B: And how is your sex life?
(At this point I gave up the pretence of looking at the menu and just started twiddling my thumbs, looking at a vacant spot in space)
G: The same, still as inactive.
B: yep me too...
G: Oh come on! You the hotshot lawyer and all those lines and all..I was even sure you were married by now...
B: No no..! Marriage is not for me.
(At this point they gave their orders and once conversation resumed.. it took a while before they returned to juicy topics. By the time I next heard them a couple of minutes had passed and there was obviously some history which I would have given an arm and a leg to know...)
B: So you finally managed a married lover is it? You were planning on going for a married lover..?
G: Yes... though he is not in my life any more.
B: How did u meet him?
G: Met him through work. We kept in touch.
B: So how did u make the first move?
G: I didn't. He did. After we had discussed fidelity like a 100 times.
B: Discussed?? Like you'll discussed IT?
G: Yes.
B: So at his house or somewhere else? Where does he stay? DO you'll still meet? Is his
wife out frequently?
(The girl at this point was obviously losing interest in wanting to talk further and was fiddling with her drink, desparately hoping for some food but mister had other plans)
B: come yaar! If he is out of the country, you should tell me. After all logistics. I need to know. Never know when such information will be helpful!
(At this point my companion reached the venue and I was left with wondering if this is how flip life has become. )

6 Comments:
Believe me, it was the lawyer trying to get details on a potential client - either the wife who would sue for adultery, or the hubby who would need a good defense attorney.
And in some other restaurants, somewhere, there are men turning down propositions - so life's still good.
sounds like the guy (asking the questions) is a loser with a capital L.
takes all kinds eh?
ha ha!
hey did something quite similar recently. i am in melbourne and was walking down the city... thought i will over-hear whatever people walking by are talking (around lunch hour near the cafes).
they do that on the funckin other side
yeah i will see you at 6 then
sexually attractive
and yeah he was telling me if i deposit 5000 dollars, that would be deducted from tax.
dinner?
yeah but i dont know what she thinks.
she is taking you for a fool
speaking french (i think)
(and this is me :) i have forgotten quite a few others and have messed up the sequence, it was real cool. i remember thinking -
most were catching up on friends;
then,
opposite sex
then,
work
and then,
money
:D
well if u r overhearing... u must overhear it all or at least complete it fictionally. even if the whole thing is flip...
Hey neha.. thats a cool exercise.. will try it something and improve my eavesdropping skills.
Sheece: I could fictionalise it but then dint think it was worth the effort. Most could be read in between lines.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home