My Funny Clementine

....that we live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities...Oscar Wilde

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Beethoven makes for a morbid dance

Today is just one of those days. Its a Monday. Mondays are made for melancholy I think. That air never leaves me, despite my shaking and nudging, it clings on like lint on new stiched pair of trousers.

I decided to be as unsocial as I could be, plugged on my ear plugs and let loose Beethoven. Many a people think Western Classical is not neccessarily music but ironically for me, I do my best work whilst listening to them. Beethoven! Brahms! Mozart! Bring them on. My interest in this genre of music was kindled my one of my professors.

Today was definitely a Beethoven Monday - morbid and melancholic.

What I did not expect was how much the people around me moved in sync with him. His crescendoes was matched with loud phone conversations and great gesticulatory explanations. His soothing bits were accompanied by people waltzing to them, floating down the aisles (almost).

Its like watching a beautiful silent film. Or rather muting only the dialogues of a film. I had never thought about how much Beethoven suits our daily lives.

My personal favourite these days is the 5th Symphony - such grandeur, such tempo. You can enjoy bits of it here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Gonzo said...

Just about everyone is writing about music today :)

His crescendoes was matched with loud phone conversations and great gesticulatory explanations. His soothing bits were accompanied by people waltzing to them, floating down the aisles (almost).I just loved this part!

I can't seem to delve in instrumental pieces when I have to work! It has to be voices!

I seem to enjoy chaos!

3:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home