Sabzi Mandi
I am a complete urbanite, as I am beginning to realise. My whole purpose of my weekend trip was to see a property my uncle has developed into a 'farm house'. I had heard hoards of praise about how well it has been landscaped and maintained and what a view and so on and so forth. Had envisioned it to be something similar to 'farm houses' in Northern India - opulent, grand and even gaudy architechture and ugly art...you get the picture right?
Beginning last week I made a special request that a trip be planned while I come to Pune the following weekend and plan my uncle did. After a fabulous morning and a drive through long long undulating roads of Pune outskirts, we reached his farm about 30 kms out of Pune.
This is a regular home away from home. Located on a beautiful hilltop, one could see only rolling hillsides on either sides with faint rivers and small dams.. and while the view from every window was wow-ing.. I still was fascinated but something much more mundane.
My uncle, on a part of his property, was growning vegetables. I was equally thriled and astonished hearing that and while I had heard of others living off their home grown vegetables and as recent as my grandparents' generation grew their own vegetables but for me veggies still come either from a handcart or from neatly wrapped packets.
But seeing them lay on the ground, ready for any one to pick them, was superb. For once the fruits and vegetables won hands down over the flowers. The first to be spotted were figs - green, tender and still growing along the stem... I was thrilled... to see them. To know they will grow into delicious fruits and well figs are one of my favourite fruits and here's why.
We tramped down over his property and saw at least twenty-five (if I did not miss any) mango trees. When these bear fruits my uncle should be one of my absolute favourite uncles. Spotted guavas, papayas and knew he was about to plant watermelon (he had picked up the seeds that morning).
Vegetables galore - brinjals (aubergines for others), gourd, pumpkins, lemons the size of my fist, chillies, tomatoes, onions, fenugreek, double beans, cabbage, cauliflower and am sure many more which I must have missed. There was enough of a neophyte in me, I think, to actually enjoy seeing those vegetables. Growing your own vegetables and actually living off them is a stellar way to live.
Did I imagine the additional sweetness in the baingain I ate or was it wishful thinking?

1 Comments:
I do wish sometimes i was a farmer..
agree with 'Growing your own vegetables and actually living off them is a stellar way to live.'
hmmm..
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home