Curiosity killed the cat?
Met a Prospective Groom (PG) over the weekend and though it was not the first instance, I kept imagining what it would be like to meet the same person in an entirely different setting, like in a party or in a professional setup or even just standing behind me in a line outside some theatre..
But instead we met under the noisy awnings of a Barista, for the first time, to consider each other as (tentatively) husband and wife.
PG is successful, settled (read makes decent money) and is the only son (am I lucky or what?) and really tall. After settling onto the respective chairs at a Barista ( I did not realise he was very uncomfortable) and yelling across the table for a while, we realised that a conversation was not going to be possible.
"I don't know Bandra (a surburb in Mumbai and a reasonably central one at that) that well so you decide," he tells me. My minds galloped ahead and went to every joint I knew in Bandra and was ruling them out one by one.. too crowded, too noisy, too small, too intimate, too expensive and all this while pretending to listen to him yelling across.
Finally settled on a path way for walkers at Bandstand (a picturesque and infamous strip of Bandra) - just right, I thought, strolling amongst more serious walkers, enjoying the balmy air and could always stop for coffee, incase we felt the yen for it.
After battling various rickshaw and BMC made obstacles, we found a parking spot and got onto the cobbled path. I was unpleasantly surprised. What I had imagined a stroll was actually turning out to be me constantly trying to catch up with PG's strides and catch the phrases thrown over his shoulder.
Huffing, puffing, clutching onto my bag with my dear life and trying stretch my strides longer than I could afford, I was hoping he would want that coffee quickly or at least notice that I needed it!
"Fixed income is the way to go.... The markets are growing much faster than equity.. I only like English movies... Am a fitness freak... (this was quite evident)..
At this point I gave up and started walking at a speed I could manage. I think PG almost instantly realised and adjusted his pace to match mine. By this time the coffee cravings surfaced.
We managed to find an obscure corner even in this supposedly posh strip of land where seedy coupled shared bright looking floats, oily pattices and entwined hands and gazed into each other's eyes. All the while sitting on the best of tables (overlooking the sea). This was, of course, a college memory and I was dreading entering the place but PG seemed to have something against the Baristas and Cafe Coffee Days.
As we entered, I saw that there were more families than couples (must be a result of all the moral policing - Bandstand was the worst hit after all), brightly lit and tall tables. At this point PG tells me how uncomfortable he was in Barista with its low tables (Really? I had never noticed).
For the next one hour we spent asking and answering question, though I seemed to want to know more about him. I was absolutely intrigued. Through snippets, I got to know PG was a student in Russia from 1988 to 1994 and I was thinking that means he saw the fall of communism!
I was so excited but of course the good Indian girl NEVER gets excited so had to find a middle ground. I was throwing questions much faster than he could or would answer them. But I was VERY VERY curious. For something that was a textbook entry as the fall of communism and I remember seeing it in the news. At that point (in 1991) I remember thinking to myself, this date would be very important for history in the years to come and now here I meet someone who actually was in Russia then.
But, PG in his chatty yet reserved style, did not impart too many details. At that point I really wished we were friends rather than prospectives.... Sigh.

9 Comments:
Well written piece, I must say and somewhat weirdly familiar too at the same time. Two years back, I was helping my then best friend through the same process and right now the same is happening with my current best friend and I have to say that not a lot have changed in terms of men who can handle and who like intelligent/independent women. Most just totally freak out at the idea of being with someone who has a mind of her own and others are in love with the idea that they'd like to be with such a woman; they later freak out when they find it is not all that fun. Only a tiny minority actually appreciate and understand what it is all about. It can be a long and tedious search actually. But if you can, try and keep the compromises to a minimum and all the best :)
thank you for your wishes!
Am just beginning to realise that there is no sure mould in which i cld cast most of them.. each unfortunately makes a new mould for himself.. i guess same is the case with us...
times are achangin...eh?
Well, yup, generalisation is best avoided in most cases as a rule, but in this case only two outcomes are possible, right? The first being 'can-possibly-get-somewhere-if-we-work-on-it' and the second being 'not-in-a-million-years'. You only get variations of the two themes in both positive and negative directions.
I do have my reservations on the validity of the concept of marriage, have seen just way too many couples I know either straying/splitting/hitting rock bottom for comfort. It is harder to make it work these days than to not make it work.
Times, though, indeed are changing, a lot of parents (considered staunchly conservative) have yielded to their kids picking their own partners for life (with caveats included, of course), maybe that too is one reason for lots of them going through hell later. I think the 20s are a bad age to get married be it man or woman. Heheh.. looks like I won't have it either way!
then make friends with him anyway. that can be done, na... marriage or not
nope it cant.. and lets leave it there :)
Oh come on...you can always be just friend...what could stop that?
morquendi - i can be frens.. but should he not want to as well.. tis a lil difficult to be a fren one sided.. some how such meetings seem to have a lot of unwritten rules.. on which liberties u can or cannot take..
of course it could be my perception... but since everyone only has marriage (and therefore compatibility) in mind.. other common areas are perhaps not explored to the fullest extent, fearing that wot will be the impression that will get conveyed..
As in I dont want to marry him but still wld like to see a movie with him - what am I indicating? And all such....
I've one such incident in my life, when i had to meet a prospective groom for my lil sister. The dood starts the conversation (after we settle down in this restuarant) by asking me, how tall my sister was, (i gritted my teeth), i told him anyways (considering this a very wierd request), he said...are you sure? we need to confirm this anyways (that that point i wanted to smash his face in)at this point i had to make excuses and walk out pretty fast, i was loosing control of my anger.
Nice post.
thanks, R.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home